By: Serge Guenette
10 ways to mark Grandparents Day
TAGS: GRANDPARENTS DAY, OTTAWA
It’s Grandparents Day on Sunday, which means it’s the perfect time to shower attention on the special grandparents in our lives.
More than gifts, what most grandparents crave is time with their grandkids. You don’t need to plan a special activity, but if you’re looking for some ideas, here are 10, many of which come right from Ottawa grandmothers:
- Plan a picnic while the weather is still mild.
- Take a walk through Mer Bleue.
- Have a bonfire and roast marshmallows or make s’mores.
- Visit the library together.
- Build a Lego structure.
- Play your favourite board game (or three).
- Spend the afternoon in the kitchen making your favourite family recipes.
- Create a family tree together and pass along valuable family history.
- Share a favourite hobby.
- Have a sleepover and movie night.
Whatever you do, the most important thing is to spend time with your grandparents. There’s a special bond between grandparent and grandchild and grandparents can often afford to spend precious time with us that our parents may be too busy to squeeze in.
And have fun!
“If I had known how wonderful it would be to have grandchildren, I’d have had them first.”